Shards Online relies on a proficiency based system, therefore skill points are gained by performing actions. Players may learn skills from various NPCs for a maximum of 5 points. There are currently 26 skills available. As of Alpha, skills are capped at a total of 400 Combat points, 200 Combat Support points and 800 points overall. This leaves 200 points for Trade skills on any template or, for a pure Crafter, 800 points maximum in Trade skills. Each skill maxes at 100 points. Skills can be adjusted downward with a slider found in the skills page.
Combat skills[edit | edit source]
There are essentially two combat skill types, Combat and Combat Support:
- Combat skills include melee, damage mitigation, magic, and taming skills.
- Combat Support skills primarily influence the health or stamina pools as well as health, stamina or mana regeneration rates. Additionally, Rogue is classified as a combat support skill.
Base effectiveness when using skills increases as the skill raises. Abilities also increase in effectiveness eg. Bashing Skill Increases damage from bashing weapons by approximately 0-65% Pulverize the Bashing Combat ability applies 20-35% bonus damage as a multiplier At the lowest skill Pulverize only applies 20% bonus damage, while at maximum skill it applies 35% At the lowest skill Bashing would apply 0% bonus damage or 1x modifier, and pulverize would apply 1.2 giving a total of 1.2x At max skill Bashing would apply a ~65% bonus or 1.65x modifier, and pulverize would apply a 1.35x modifier for a total of ~2.23x
Combat[edit | edit source]
A character can obtain up to 400 skill points in this category, but no more than 800 total points for all three categories.
- Animal Ken - Knowledge of animals. Taming, and controlling animals.
- Bashing - Bashing determines damage and effectiveness when using weapons of this type.
- Beast Mastery - Command and controlling creatures.
- Blocking - Integrating a shield into effective offense and defense requires a lot of practice. Blocking affects how effective a character is at using a shield.
- Channeling - Channeling determines damage and effectiveness of spells. Channeling increases the bonus damage applied to a spell.
- Dodge - One of the best ways to avoid getting hit.
- First Aid - Provides benefits to you in combat. Allowing healing during combat, knowledge of opponents, and a slight increase to combat effectiveness.
- Manifestation - Manifestation determines how successful you are about translating your mana into spells. Essentially how well you can make your magic 'manifest' itself in the world. It also determines the maximum potential bonus damage applied to a spell.
- Melee - Melee determines how well you fight. In shards melee ability directly correlates to hit chance regardless of what weapon you are using. Melee skill also provides a slight bonus to your ability to parry attacks.
- Necromancy - A combination of direct damage and summoned minions makes any master of this skill a force to be reckoned with. The higher your skill, the more minions you can control at one time (up to 3).
- Piercing - Piercing determines damage and effectiveness when using weapons of this type.
- Slashing - Slashing determines damage and effectiveness when using weapons of this type.
Combat Support[edit | edit source]
A character can obtain up to 200 skill points in this category, but no more than 800 total points for all three categories.
- Endurance - Endurance is the body's ability to recover energy after exertion. Endurance doesn't limit what you can do. Also provides a bonus to stamina pool.
- Magic Affinity - Magic Affinity is the body's ability to absorb magic from the world. Through training and concentration the body is more open to magic. This also provides a small bonus to spell damage, and mana pool
- Regeneration - Regeneration is the body's ability to heal itself. Through training and concentration the body can learn to heal itself from all but the most dire wounds. Also provides a bonus to direct healing and health pool
- Rogue - The shadier pursuits; thievery, stealth, etc.
Trade skills[edit | edit source]
A character can obtain up to 800 Points in this Category, but no more than 800 total points for all three categories.
- Alchemy - Creation of concoctions and potions.
- Butchery - Harvesting parts from creatures.
- Cooking - Preparing food to provide special bonuses.
- Fabrication - Allows creation of cloth and leather items. Skill improves item quality.
- Fishing - Fishing is the capacity to fish. The higher your fishing skill, the better your capacity to reel, catch, and find fish.
- Foraging - Harvesting plants and herbs.
- Lumberjack - Cutting trees to harvest usable wood.
- Metalsmith - Allows creation of metal items. Skill improves item quality.
- Mining - Mining rock to find usable metal ore.
- Salvage - Allows the salvaging of raw material from existing items.
- Woodsmith - Allows creation of wooden items. Skill improves item quality.